Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

philipacentaur
#1 Posted : 01 February 2012 21:01:32(UTC)
philipacentaur

I just received my CEC adapters yesterday, and I think I have the on attached to my Toshiba working well enough. There are some quirks, but I've got it turning the TV on and off, which I'm quite happy about!

But my other setup isn't working so well. The AVR is a Pioneer VSX-521-K and the TV is an LG 47LW5300. As the subject line says, the AVR won't turn on via CEC (though it will turn off) and the TV will turn on but won't enter standby via CEC. I'm running OpenELEC PVR ION/i386 r9724 from the OpenELEC site. What information can I offer that will help get these devices working?

The devices are connected like so: ION -> CEC adapter -> AVR HDMI input 1 -> AVR HDMI TV ouput -> LG TV HDMI input 1

Thanks for this product and all of your work!
opdenkamp
#2 Posted : 02 February 2012 09:42:50(UTC)
support for AVR devices didn't make it into Eden. it was feature frozen before we finished that feature.
we provide builds of XBMC on http://packages.pulse-eight.net/ which are based on the latest Eden Beta2, and which do contain support for AVRs.

download and install one of those builds, go to system -> input -> peripherals -> CEC adapter, and set the following options:
"connected to HDMI device" = "5" (=audiosystem)
"HDMI port number" = "1" (=HDMI port 1 on the AVR)

press ok, remove the usb cable from the adapter and plug it back in, and everything should be working.
philipacentaur
#3 Posted : 02 February 2012 14:28:42(UTC)
philipacentaur

I should have been more specific about the build I'm using, but it's definitely an Eden beta 2 build. System info panel reports: XBMC 11.0-BETA2 Git:cbe2cf3 (I upgraded since my previous post to another OpenELEC PVR nightly).

I do appreciate you posting the procedure to specify connection to an AVR, as I had to figure it out through trial and error.

XBMC volume control of the AVR works, my TV remote works (partially) for navigation, etc. But like I said, the Pioneer AVR won't come out of standby and the LG TV won't turn off via CEC. I can post logs if that will help, but I definitely have it configured correctly already.

I did plug the CEC adapter directly into the TV and specified HDMI device 0 in the config, and that didn't change anything. XBMC can still only turn the TV on, but it never enters standby/turns off. I did a bit of messing around with 'cec-client' but didn't know quite what I was doing. Sending "standby 0" and then "pow 0" just shows the TV as "on" and likewise, sending "on 5" and then "pow 5" shows the AVR as "in transition from standby to on" and then just "standby".

Again, let me know if posting log output will help.

Thanks!
Malard
#4 Posted : 02 February 2012 16:31:24(UTC)
I think you missed the bit regarding AVR, OpenELEC and xbmc.org builds lack support for AVR until after Eden final, you will need to grab our builds at http://packages.pulse-eight.net/ if you want AVR support at this time
philipacentaur
#5 Posted : 02 February 2012 16:51:06(UTC)
philipacentaur

Sorry, but I also tried one of your builds and it didn't work any better.

Additionally, I have compiled the XBMC master branch and libCEC, both from git, and the behavior is the same.

Like I said, the AVR support is working as far as volume control goes, which is nice, but the power control is a no-go. Also, the LG TV power issue shouldn't have anything to do with that.
opdenkamp
#6 Posted : 05 February 2012 10:01:44(UTC)
right, if you got volume control, then it means that libCEC is using the AVR properly. power control should be done by your TV, not libCEC, but apparently your TV isn't doing that.
could you pastebin xbmc's debug log please, then I can see what's going on.

we can easily implement this in libCEC, but I'd like to see why the TV isn't following the CEC spec on this one first.
philipacentaur
#7 Posted : 05 February 2012 21:48:23(UTC)
philipacentaur

Should I do anything in particular in XBMC while I'm gathering the debug log?
opdenkamp
#8 Posted : 06 February 2012 10:57:32(UTC)
no, nothing special (except for enabling debug logging, both for XBMC and the CEC adapter)
philipacentaur
#9 Posted : 06 February 2012 15:27:26(UTC)
philipacentaur

Okay, here you go: http://pastebin.com/UcgZF2yL
philipacentaur
#10 Posted : 16 February 2012 00:01:11(UTC)
philipacentaur

I recently tried out libCEC 1.4.3 from git, and noticed that although my Pioneer AVR doesn't turn on when XBMC is started ("turn on devices..." or whatever is enabled in prefs), the AVR actually *does* turn on I send an "on 5" with cec-client. At least it's a positive change in the right direction. I don't expect the LG to respond to standby requests any time soon, but I would be happy if everything could be turned on with XBMC!